جوزيف




Joseph - جوزيف

This is a portrait of my father's uncle, dated 1937, cut in an Amsterdam Zeitung. I found it while emptying my childhood apartment in Beit-Mery, Lebanon in 2010...
It's a rare photo of him since he was always behind all of our family photos, He actually became a photographer himself, much later then this photo was taken.
It brought up my first memory of Photography: the day he handed me, in his room, at the age of 8, my first camera: a Kodak instamatic.
Primordial memory is not an image but a gesture, an act of love.

C'est le portrait de l'oncle de mon père, daté de 1937, découpé dans le journal Zeitung Amsterdam. Je l'ai trouvé tout en vidant l'appartement de mon enfance à Beit-Méry, au Liban en 2010...
C'est une rare photo de lui. Il a toujours été derrière toutes nos photos de famille, et il est devenu lui meme photographe, des années après que cette photo fut prise.
Ceci évoqua mon premier souvenir de photographie: le jour où il m'a remis, dans sa chambre, à l'âge de 8, mon premier appareil photo: un Kodak Instamatic.
La mémoire primordiale n'est pas une image, mais un geste, un acte d'amour.

one of my first portraits