couple


couple

Dear Laura,

Elly found this photo on a sidewalk outside a “Skiladiko” (Greek night club) in downtown Athens and gave it to me.
I had it pinned on my wall for eight years, during my stay in Athens.
Every time I took a glance at this couple, an awkward sensation invaded my heart, a mixture of light and gloom.
I couldn't tell which of the two feelings came first, but I could tell the two apart. When I identified with the person in the red suit; from behind the couple, I could only see the sadness of this young woman probably attached to this man older than her, for a night or more!
When I looked through the photographer's lens, I could notice in her hug, some kind of attachment or even love.
But today, many years later, I don't know why, I only see in their gazes a deep and fleeting joy.

Palermo, March 2009


Cher Laura, 

Elly a trouvé cette photo sur un trottoir devant un «Skiladiko» (boîte de nuit grecque) au centre-ville d'Athènes et me l'a offerte.
Je l'avais épinglé sur mon mur pendant huit ans, durant mon séjour à Athènes. Chaque fois que je jetais un coup d'œil à ce couple, une sensation bizarre envahissait mon coeur, un mélange de lumière et de morosité.
Je ne pouvais pas dire lequel des deux sentiment venait en premier, mais je pouvais différencier les deux. Quand je m'identifiait à la personne en costume rouge; de derrière le couple, je ne voyais que la tristesse de cette jeune femme probablement attachée à cet homme plus agé qu'elle, pour une nuit ou plus!
Quand je regardais à travers l'objectif du photographe, je pouvais remarquer dans son étreinte, une sorte d'attachement ou même d'amour.
Mais aujourd'hui, bien des années plus tard, je ne sais pas pourquoi, je ne vois que dans leurs regards une joie profonde et éphémère.

Palermo, Mars 2009